Onitsha Killings: We acted in Self Defense against Nnamdi’s Supporters – Nigerian Army

NNamdi Kanu IPOB Director whose supporters army killed
Namdi Kanu IPOB Director




3 IPOB Supporters confirmed killed, one army senior officer injured.

The Nigerian army has come out to give a brief account of what transpired that led to the death of 3 IPOB members with one of the army officers sustaining serious injuries. The army  said they acted in self defense.

It was reported widely on both print and social media that more than 8 Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) members were shot dead with 25 injured while jubilating  over the unconditional  release of their director, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu by the Federal High Court  sitting in Abuja on the 17th of December 2015.

However, the Nigerian Army said in a statement signed on Sunday 20th Dec. by the  Deputy Director Army Public Relations, 82 Division, Nigerian Army, Enugu, Col. Hamza Gambo that the troops were first attacked by those referred to as “mobs/irate youths” thereby refuting the allegation that the army  initiated the attack on the harmless and defenseless IPOB members.




The officer who gave they army’s version of the story stated that “at about 1335 Hrs on 17 December 2015, an unknown group of a rowdy mob numbering about 200 whose identity yet to be ascertained attacked troops of 302 Artillery Regiment deployed at River Niger bridge in Onitsha. The Niger bridge is the major link connecting the Western Region and the entire South East as well as the South South regions. It is of great strategic significance to the entire nation”.

He mentioned that the important and strategic nature of the bridge to the region and beyond cannot to over-emphasized.

Recall that earlier in the week, the lower court had discharged Kanu who has been in detention for over 90days unconditionally , insisting he had no case to answer.

The Indigenous People of Biafra(IPOB) is a new group indigents who have decided to renew the earlier failed  quest by the people of Ibo extraction in Nigeria to demand for their own country to be called Biafra republic.

The struggle which  initially  started and lasted  between 6 July 1967 – 15 January 1970  was championed by the then Governor of South Eastern Region   Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu of blessed memory.

During the over two year’s civil war, more than 2 million people died as a result of starvation. The fight  caused some consequences resulting in political, economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions.

The international communities are yet to voice out their positions on the struggle of the people of Biafra.

Robminds.com will continue to bring you updates on the latest happenings regarding this matter.

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
(Visited 34 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *