Football Viewing Center : Over 30 people were instantly electrocuted in Calabar area of Cross River State yesterday evening with one man surviving.
The football match was between Manchester United and Anderlecht during UEFA Europa league quarter-final bout.
While watching the match at the viewing center according the survivor who narrated to the Punch at Iyang-Esu area of Calabar municipal local government area, there was a sudden deafening noise immediately after, he ran out to find out what caused it and he saw the nearby transformer in flames and on rushing back into the hall he saw a burning high tension cable dropping on the roof of the viewing Center and he managed to escape , that was how over 30 people were electrocuted.
“It happened during the match between Manchester United and Anderlecht. I heard a deafening bang. I rushed out to see what was happening,” he was quoted as saying.
“When I turned back to go inside the viewing Center, I saw a cable coming down on the Centre and this electrocuted the viewers in the hall.
“It was a horrible sight to behold. I wish I didn’t come out to watch the match. Come to think of it, I have DStv at home but I enjoy watching matches at viewing centers. I could have been dead. I can’t believe that the people I was chatting and joking with a few minutes ago are all gone in a most anguishing way. This world is vain.”